Zennie62 on YouTube

Saturday, February 06, 2010

CANADIANS IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

CANADIANS IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE
By Sam MacBeath of MacBeath Sports Media-for Football Reporters Online

This past week the good people at Football Reporters Online asked me if I would like to write an article on Canadians eligible for The NFL draft for this year. I thought about the assignment for all of about 10 seconds and said I would love to do it. So I went about the research for the article. I went first to NFL.com and found the list of players and found that there were no Canadians on the list. Next I went to Scout.com and I looked from #1 Ndamukong Suh (DT Nebraska) all the way to #477 P Alonso Rojas of Kansas and confirmed my fears. NO CANADIANS available this year.

Now I know there have been Canadians in The NFL in the past as I have met a couple through my job as a reporter such as Jesse Palmer (New York Giants and also The Bachelor), Steve Christie (Buffalo Bills), Chris Schultz (Dallas) and Mike Vanderjagt, who is one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history so I knew that I could come up with something. I sat at my computer and tried to think of a new angle for my article and finally it came to me. I would write about Canadians already in the league.

So to start things off I am going to take a quick look at San Diego Charger Defensive End Vaughn Martin. Martin is a very special Canadian in the league as he is the first Canadian ever to be drafted as an underclassman (4th rd 113th overall) out of Western University in London Ontario. Martin played in 10 games for The Chargers and looks to be a real find for the team.

Next we travel to St louis for a look at Rams Saftey O. J. Otogwe of Windsor Ontario. Atogwe, selected in the third round of the 2005 draft (66th overall) started in 12 games and compiled a total of 74 tackles (58 solo), 1 sack, 2 ints and 3 forced fumbles and has played 274 out of 317 games and has a reputation as a steady saftey with good footwork and great ball skills and quickness.

Next we travel to Seattle Washington and look at Canadian Receiver Nate Burelson. Burelson from Calgary Alberta was originally drafted in the third round (71st overall) by the Minnesota Vikings and is known as a duo threat as he is not only a good receiver but also a threat as a return man as he has 4 returns for touchdowns. But an interesting stat that goes with the Touchdowns is that all four were for more than 90 yards each. Now as a receiver he has compiled some very steady stats which include 27 Touchdowns and and average of 12 yards a reception.

Finally I would be remiss if I didn't mention Indianapolis Colt Dan Federkeil of Medicine Hat Alberta. Federkeil was signed by The Colts as a free agent in 2006 and has played 22 games with the Colts over his first 3 seasons. Federkeil has one Super Bowl ring and hopes to become the first canadian ever to win two rings in NFL history if his Colts can defeat Drew Brees and The New Orleans Saints.

All these players plus Jon Ryan, Brad Romberg, Jamaal Westerman, Rob Meier, L.P. Ladouceur, Israel Idonjie and Nick Kaczur are steady plyers for their respective teams and is one of the reasons that The NFL has about 100,000 fans attending games live and over 700,000 fans who watch games on a weekly basis(in Canada). That plus the fact that NFL merchandise is tops among the sports merchandise has caused The NFL to open a Canadian office and teams like The Buffalo Bills play a regular season game in Canada each season. So keep an eye on the 2010 draft for your favorite college player and see where he goes in the draft. But also keep an eye on the talent that comes from Canada either because they were born here or played ball here in The Canadian Football League.

Before I go I want to remind you to order your copy of The 2010 Gridiron Draft Guide for only $10 from gridirondraftguide.com This is guide is an extensive look at the upcoming NFL Draft and a whole lot more. Order your copy now so you can get it sent to you hot off the press around the beginning of April. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to speaking to you all again real soon. But until then please follow your dreams.

0 comments:

Visit the new Zennie62.com

Zennie62 blog net

 
Google Analytics Alternative